|HP ARIES Migration Environment
HP ARIES technology enables a binary compatibility migration solution to facilitate migration of HP 9000 HP-UX applications to HP-UX 11i for HP Integrity servers with the goals of correctness, reliability, performance delivery and quickest time to solution. The HP ARIES migration solution stack comprises of following products, features and functionalities:
HP ARIES (Automatic Retranslation and Integrated Environment Simulation) is a dynamic binary translator that combines fast code interpretation with two phase dynamic translation to transparently and accurately execute HP 9000 HP-UX applications on HP-UX 11i v2 or higher (HP-UX 11i) for HP Integrity servers. HP bundles ARIES free of charge on all HP-UX 11i operating environments on HP Integrity servers. Users can simply install and run applications on HP Integrity servers running HP-UX 11i operating environment, as they would on HP 9000 servers.
- ARIES dynamic binary translator
- Transparent execution of HP 9000 HP-UX applications on HP-UX 11i for HP Integrity servers.
- HP Integrity HP-UX 11i operating system support for PA-RISC executable invocation
- Automatic launching of ARIES upon PA-RISC executable invocation
- Support for all flavors of HP 9000 HP-UX executables e.g.
- HP 9000 HP-UX system shared libraries support on HP-UX 11i for HP Integrity servers
- Provides required runtime for HP 9000 applications under ARIES.
- All system shared libraries required by HP 9000 applications are delivered on HP-UX 11i for HP Integrity servers.
- HP 9000 HP-UX GDB on HP-UX 11i for HP Integrity servers
- HP Integrity WDB/GDB package includes HP 9000 HP-UX GDB.
- On HP-UX 11i for HP Integrity servers, HP 9000 HP-UX GDB can be used to debug HP 9000 applications, core file analysis, attaching to emulated processes and memory leak detection.
- MITR : MIxed mode TRanslator New!
- Enables HP Integrity executables to call (and be called by) HP 9000 shared libraries.
- Well suited for migrating Java applications using JNI libraries to HP Integrity servers.
- The solution comprises of enhanced ARIES library, dynamic loader and JVM (Java Virtual Machine).
- HP XPADE : PA-RISC Cross Development Environment New!
- Integrated cross compilation and linking environment for HP 9000 applications on HP Integrity servers.
Provides a complete and simplified integrated cross development environment for HP 9000 on Integrity platform.
- HP 9000 applications which require compilation and/or linking as part of installation procedure, bring-up or during runtime can be migrated to HP-UX 11i on HP Integrity servers.
ARIES provides binary compatibility layer that assists you with your migration from the PA-RISC architecture based HP 9000 servers to Itanium-based HP Integrity servers running HP-UX 11i.
ARIES is an excellent HP 9000 migration alternative to ISV application porting:
For more details on ARIES product refer to: HP ARIES product details, documents and resources.
- ARIES is fully supported HP product, including support under HP VSE (Virtual Server Environment).
- HP ARIES technology on current Integrity servers provides performance better than PA8500, equivalent to PA8700, and nearly 75% of the latest PA8900 based HP 9000 servers. As a result, HP Integrity servers can be an ideal platform for hosting legacy HP 9000 application workloads as a part of your transformation to HP Integrity servers.
- ARIES provides supportability features for debugging emulated HP 9000 applications on HP-UX 11i on HP Integrity servers. These supportability features are:
- Debugging of HP 9000 application on HP-UX 11i for Integrity servers using HP GDB.
- Attaching HP GDB to already running emulated PA-RISC processes.
- Creation of a corefile of the HP 9000 application in same format as on the HP 9000 server in case of failure with a signal.
- Detection of memory leaks in the HP 9000 application using HP GDB.
- Using HP 9000 system call tracer
tusc to trace the system call, signals, threads activities of the emulated HP 9000 application (in startup and attach mode).
- ARIES diagnostic features for isolation of ARIES faults leading to HP 9000 application failure.
Useful ARIES and related resource links:
- » HP-UX 11i v3 knowledge-on-demand webinar on ARIES (04/2008)
- » PA-RISC to IA-64: Transparent Execution, no Recompilation (PDF, 144 KB) IEEE Computer, March 2000, (Vol 33, no. 3) pp 47-52. Cindy Zheng, Carol Thompson. Hewlett-Packard Company
- » HP ARIES: Technical overview, references and success stories (PDF Slides, 1.1 MB, 04/2008)
- » ARIES manual page for HP-UX 11i v2 (12/2007)
- » HP ARIES binary compatibility and product support statement (PDF, 49 KB, 01/2008)
- » HP-UX 11i compatibility for HP Integrity and HP 9000 servers (PDF, 88 KB, 03/2007)
- » HP Application Transition web site
- » HP-UX STK home page
- » HP 9000 Evolution Program Provides a Smooth Path to Integrity Servers (PDF, 694 KB, 05/2007)
- » Giving Your Business the Competitive Edge: Transitioning to HP Integrity Servers - A low-risk, high-return, trouble-free process (PDF, 84 KB, 06/2006)
- » Lyon Highway Monitoring Center (CORALY) migration to HP Integrity servers - Case Study (PDF, 299 KB, 03/2005)
|ARIES is a fully supported HP technology. HP is committed to investment protection for its customers, partners and ISVs. HP assumes support and bug fixes for ARIES so that existing HP 9000 HP-UX applications can execute in the same way on HP Integrity servers as they did on the HP 9000 servers.*
- ARIES is fully supported under HP VSE (Virtual Server Environment) solution stack:
- Hard Partitions - nPars
- HP Virtual Partitions - vPars
- HP Integrity Virtual Machines - HP IVM
- HP Process Resource Manager/pSets
* All user space applications subjected to ARIES Limitations
- ARIES supports emulation of all (*) 32-bit and 64-bit HP 9000 user space applications compiled for any version of HP-UX provided the application works correctly on HP-UX 11i v2/v3 on HP 9000 servers. This includes HP 9000 applications compiled for current (11.11, 11.23 and 11.31) and legacy (pre-11.11) HP-UX versions.
- ARIES supports emulation of all flavors of 32-bit and 64-bit executables compiled on HP 9000 HP-UX servers such as
- HP ARIES support is included in HP-UX OE (operating environment) support contract. Customers who have an HP-UX 11i support contract will receive HP ARIES product support covering ARIES defect fixes, performance enhancements, and consultation for installation and runtime of HP 9000 HP-UX applications on HP-UX 11i on HP Integrity servers.
For HP 9000 HP-UX applications deployed under ARIES on HP-UX 11i for HP Integrity servers
For detailed information on HP ARIES support statement see:
- HP support is for ARIES product only.
- HP support includes consultation for installation issues, resolution of ARIES issues resulting in HP 9000 application failures and triaging/resolution of performance issues.
- For triaging of issues if necessary the user may be required to demonstrate that the issue does not reproduce on an HP 9000 HP-UX server.
» HP ARIES binary compatibility and product support statement (PDF, 49 KB, Rev 1.1, Jan 29, 2008)
|In general, ARIES is an excellent alternative for user space application migration from old HP 9000 servers where solution stack comprises of application versions that are not available natively on HP-UX 11i on HP Integrity servers.
For ISVs, ARIES is an excellent solution to have their applications available on HP Integrity servers without making investments in source code porting.
- ARIES is a proven solution that has successfully helped in a number of high-profile migrations.
- Dynamic and Transparent
- Absolutely no user intervention required to invoke ARIES.
- No re-compilation for HP 9000 applications required.
- Complete, correct and reliable
- Support for all user mode HP 9000 applications, both 32-bit and 64-bit.
- Simplicity of ARIES design has yielded high reliability.
- Emulation of all (non-privileged) PA-RISC instructions.
- Same debugging tools can be used as on HP 9000 servers.
- Exact HP 9000 HP-UX - like interface
- Bundled with the HP-UX OE, kernel support for transparency.
- Run applications on HP Integrity servers in same way as on HP 9000 servers.
- No CHROOT Jail - emulated applications have access to full file system without any special setup.
- Good performance for wide range of HP 9000 applications.
- Time to market
- ARIES can buy you time to pursue native port to HP-UX 11i on HP Integrity servers.
- Most applications work out of the box.
- OS and language runtime dependencies handled automatically.
- Ideal for HP 9000 applications
- Using legacy libraries that may not be ported to Integrity HP-UX servers e.g. libcma.
- Using legacy versions that may not be ported to Integrity HP-UX servers.
- Lost source code.
- ISV no longer supports or is out of business.
For customers, ARIES is an excellent solution for legacy versions of application software that may not be ported by respective ISVs to HP Integrity servers.
When ARIES is a recommended solution
When ARIES is the ONLY solution
- Porting the application is an enormous effort and time to solution is critical.
- No access to source code.
- The application is reasonably well-behaved, i.e. it does not use undocumented or unsupported HP-UX features.
- Maximum performance is not a concern.
- The third party dependencies have not yet been migrated to HP-UX for HP Integrity servers.
- In-house developed customer applications.
When ARIES is not the recommended solution
- Legacy applications where application sources are not available.
- Application depends on legacy libraries which may not be ported to HP-UX 11i for HP Integrity servers. For example, libcma (CMA threads) on HP 9000 servers.
- Application uses legacy versions of software which may not be ported to HP-UX 11i for HP Integrity servers by the respective ISVs.
- Third party application vendors do not have plans to migrate their solutions to HP-UX 11i for HP Integrity servers.
- Porting the application cannot be completed with satisfactory quality within a reasonable time.
For any support and consultation for migration of applications from HP-UX on HP 9000 servers to HP-UX 11i on HP Integrity servers, contact
- You want to harness full power of HP Integrity server by native optimizations and HP-UX 11i APIs.
- You have concerns around emulated application behavior and performance.
- Independent Software Vendor (ISV) refuses to offer application support under ARIES.
- Known performance concerns:
- Floating point operations intensive applications
- Short running Java based applications
- Application is constrained on process resident memory footprint size
- Application is constrained on process startup time
- Applications like shells, parsers, interpreters which do not have good locality of execution
In cases where ARIES mode application deployment on HP Integrity servers is not feasible, HP recommends you port your application to the HP Integrity platform using the Software Transition Kit (STK) for expert advice on how to perform the transition. For more information on the transition of your code from HP-UX on HP 9000 servers to HP-UX 11i on HP Integrity servers, visit HP's HP-UX STK website.
- Your HP account manager,
- HP AllianceONE Partner Program
- HP support organization - IT Resource Center (ITRC)
|HP recommends following ARIES patches for latest product features, functionalities and documentation.
HP ARIES product general release patches
|11.23 (11i v2)
||May 17, 2012
|11.31 (11i v3)
||May 17, 2012
HP ARIES man page general release patches
||Dec. 02, 2007
||Dec. 02, 2007
||- NA -
||Mar 28, 2008
||- NA -
||Mar 28, 2008
||- NA -
||- NA -
To download a patch, go to the IT Resource Center support page. Login using your IT Resource Center User ID and Password, and then select individual patches (under maintenance and support). You can also download a patch using anonymous
ftp(1) from ftp.itrc.hp.com
Don't forget to Register for the Support Information Digest for automatic notification of operating system updates.